Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tablets and such

Well first its been awhile. A lot has happened since the last. Installing a new pop with AT&T and Time Warner. Changes the whole network. But the reason for this post, the Motorola Xoom which I am using to post this.

My wife and I saw the ads, did some research and couldn't resist. So both of us have one now and have been working with them, adapting them for personal and work purposes. So here we go on my one week evaluation.

First, Android is short on apps designed for the tablet. There are some but most are phone apps that need to be upgraded by the devs. Some work well and some are tiny on the screen or just crash. That being said I set out to try to replace my laptop with it for work. I am not quite there yet but I have made surprising progress.
First for those who don't know, I use a Macbook Pro with Parallels and a Windows 7 guest for work. So to replace that with Android would be tough. So enter some apps and alternatives.

Windows 7 stuff. My wife found an app, Pocketcloud. Set it up and have a secure connection to other computers. So I set it for a Windows box and poof, a vnc like app to run those apps there. Other items I need are mostly web based so not an issue except no rj45 connection. So I have ordered a Trendnet travel wireless router and am waiting on it.

Email, SSH, vpn client etc seem to work well. Some minor issues with browsers have cropped up like working on this. After so much typing the cursor dissappears below the keyboard and I have to do something to see it again. But it seems most developers are really ready to work out problems. For instance, Printshare which allows Android devices to print had difficulties on the Xoom. Well, a few emails swapped and they had the issues worked out. Good guys there.
So all in all a good experience as long as you see that it is very early in the dev process for the tablrts. Man is this thing fast. I really like it.

Tk

No comments:

Post a Comment